Robert Croft hangs up his boots to take up coaching and ambassadorial role

Glamorgan Cricket have today confirmed that Robert Croft will retire from playing professional cricket at the end of this season. Robert will however remain with the Club in a coaching and ambassadorial role.

Robert Croft said, “It’s finally dawning on me that my career is coming to an end.

“It’s unbelievable how quickly time has passed since from 1985 when I first walked into the Glamorgan environment as a teenager followed by my debut at the Oval in 1989; to think that it is the best part of 30 years is incredible.

“I count myself lucky to have played as long as I have and I’m grateful for the support I have received over the years from teammates, coaches and most importantly from my family and friends.

“I don’t think I could have had the career I have had without such a supportive family. I owe a lot to my parents, Susan and Malcolm, my grandparents, my wife Marie and children Callum and Kara Beth.

“They have been there throughout my cricketing career, providing encouragement in the difficult times and a sense of level headedness in the good times. What’s more my friends around me, those in the game and in the media have also all helped give me the motivation to keep on playing the game.

“I’m also lucky to have played with so many wonderful players for both Glamorgan and England with whom I’ve shared so many experiences, both good and bad. Those experiences will stay with me.

“I’m pleased to end my career with a home match against Kent at the SWALEC next week, but when I walk up those stairs for the last time as a player, I will be emotional, there’s sure to be a tear in my eye.

With regards the new role, Robert added,
“I’m pleased to be able to stay involved in welsh cricket. In terms of coaching I'll speak to Matthew Mott to see how he plans to use me, but I expect that this will involve floating between both the first and second teams as well as helping aspiring young cricketers.

“I’ve always majored on the skills of the game, fitness is a factor of cricket more and more these days, but my game has always been about the skills.

“I hope to be able to share the bank of knowledge I have from 23 years in the first team of how batsmen and bowlers react in match situations.

Glamorgan Cricket Chief Executive Alan Hamer added, “Although this announcement draws the curtain on a truly remarkable playing career, it also signals the start of a new chapter in Robert’s life.

“Robert’s playing record speaks for itself and I hope that large numbers of spectators will attend next week’s match against Kent, to give him the send-off he deserves.

“With Robert’s playing career drawing to a close, the Club have spent the past few weeks working with Robert to determine the most effective way in which his skills and experience can be best utilised.

“We are therefore delighted that Robert will now remain with the Club in a coaching and ambassadorial role which will now not only see him help with the development of our younger players but also working to raise the profile of Glamorgan and Welsh Cricket.”

Glamorgan’s final game this season is the four-day LV= County Championship home fixture against Kent at the SWALEC Stadium, scheduled to commence on Tuesday 11th September, 10.30am.

Glamorgan Cricket awarded Robert Croft with a testimonial year in 2012 in recognition to his services to the Club. The final event of his testimonial year is a lunch at the Towers Hotel, Swansea Bay on Friday 2nd November. For more information visit www.glamorgancricket.com

Robert Croft Playing Career 1989-2012
A brief synopsis of Robert’s outstanding career statistics highlight what a remarkable career he has enjoyed; arguably the most successful all-rounder in the Club's long history.

Robert Croft is the only player in Glamorgan’s history to have taken over 1,000 first-class wickets and to have also scored more than 10,000 first-class runs for the Welsh county. Only eight players since 1945 have accomplished this feat for any County. His all-round talents were recognised by the England selectors, with Robert playing in more international matches for England than any other home-grown Glamorgan cricketer, appearing in 21 Test Matches and 50 One-Day Internationals.

The off-spinner graduated from Welsh age-group sides in the mid 1980s to the Glamorgan 2nd XI and Colts side, before making his first-class debut in August 1989, when he appeared in the County Championship match against Surrey at The Oval. He subsequently became an integral member of the Glamorgan side that won a series of county titles during the next two decades, besides captaining the Club between 2003 and 2006 during which time he led Glamorgan to the National League title in 2004.

Robert has also won a host of personal honours throughout his distinguished career, starting in 1990 with Glamorgan’s Young Player of the Year Award which he won again in 1992 – a season which also saw Robert win his Glamorgan cap following a series of outstanding performances, including career-best figures of 8/66 and a fourteen-wicket match haul against Warwickshire at Swansea. Croft went on to win the Player of the Year Award for the County in 1996 and 2004.

Robert’s nagging off-spin and assertive batting was a feature of the Welsh county’s success in winning the Sunday League title in 1993, and four years later, these skills were to the fore again as Glamorgan won the 1997 County Championship with Robert scoring a quick-fire 86 in the title-clinching match at Taunton as Glamorgan defeated Somerset by ten wickets to become County Champions for the third time in their history.

Robert has continued to be an important member of the Glamorgan side in the past few years, as well as achieving a number of personal milestones, most notably in July 2010 when he took his 1,000th first-class wicket for Glamorgan, during the Welsh county’s match with Leicestershire at Swansea. Later in August of that year, he also claimed his first hat-trick for the Club in their victory against Gloucestershire at Cheltenham with the off-spinner ending the contest with three wickets in consecutive balls.

Robert Croft Career Facts (including games up to 10th Sept 2012)

First Class Debut Glamorgan v Surrey, The Oval, August 1989
First Class Glamorgan appearances 406 First Class Wickets 1168 First Class Runs 12879
Glamorgan Club Captain 2003 - 2006
England Test Debut v Pakistan at the Oval, August 1996
England Test appearances 21 Wickets 49 Runs 421
England ODI appearances 50 Wickets 45 Runs 345
Career best Bowling: 8/66 v Warwickshire 1992 & Batting:143 v Somerset at Taunton 1995
Leading all-rounder in English first-class cricket in 2004, with 712 runs and 57 wickets

Honours

Sunday League Champions 1993
County Championship1997
Benson & Hedges Cup Finalists 2000
National League 2002, 2004 (as captain)
Division Two Championship 2001

0 comments:

Post a Comment