Pontypridd and Aberavon make SWALEC Cup final

Pontypridd and Aberavon booked their places in the SWALEC Cup final by beating Swansea and Llandovery respectively.
Aberavon earned their first final spot in 36 years with an 18-12 win at Carmarthen RFC, while Pontypridd kept their treble hopes alive with a 35-22 win in a late kick-off at Cardiff Arms Park 
The SWALEC Finals Day will take place at the Millennium Stadium on Monday 2 May, with the finals of the SWALEC Bowl and the Plate also taking centre stage, turning the day into a true festival of rugby.
Pontypridd outside half Simon Humberstone got his side on the scoreboard after eight minutes with a penalty, and the first of three tries from wing Owen Williams two minutes later after some build-up work took the score to 8--0.
Pontypridd had most of the possession in the first half, and used it well. For Swansea, James Dixon missed a penalty after quarter of an hour but slotted one five minutes later after a good break by Swansea. 
Humberstone edged Pontypridd futher ahead with a goal kick at 23 minutes and he had a hand in Williams' second try, another well-worked effort, before an injury forced him off the field, to be replaced by Dean Gunter.
Dafydd Lockyer sealed a significant half-time lead for the Valley Commandoes, breaking through the Swansea midfield after some quick handling, with Gunter adding the extras.
Swansea made a foray into the Pontypridd half just before the break, but they were left with a mountain at 25-3 down.
There was more of the same after half-time with a penalty for Dean Gunter and Williams getting his hat-trick. Dale McIntosh's side also missed a few try scoring chances before Swansea made a late comeback. Their first try at 68 minutes was for captain and right wing Rhys Jones. Matthew Morgan converted and then got on the end of an attack in the left wing for a try. Nicky Thomas, back on the field after a yellow card, showed a clean pair of heels to get on the scoreboard, with Morgan converting, adding some respect to the final score.

Aberavon's last Cup final was in 1975 after beating this year's Cup final opponents Pontypridd 10-9 in the semi-final at Cardiff.
Yesterday's was less nail-biting, although Aberavon had to survive a tough last ten minutes of Llandovery pressure.
Aberavon No 8 Nathan Strong was first on the scoreboard with Jarvis converting, but after a yellow card for Aberavon prop Neil White, Llandovery were able to exert some pressure in the scrum and Daniel Evans scored, Howard Thomas converting to bring the scores level.
Aberavon went in 15-7 up after a Jarvis penalty and a try from wing Chris Lewis. Jarvis added a furtther penalty in the second half and despite a try from Llandovery wing Lee Rees, it was enough for Talbot Athletic Club side to clinch their place in the showpiece event for Welsh club rugby.


Post a Comment